Thursday, April 21, 2011

Planting Seeds 2011

I have planted seeds before but have had very little luck getting healthy looking growth. They were always tall and lanky and didn't do well once in the garden. Then I met some really great people in a group on Birds and Blooms Website and that all changed!

Before, I just threw a bunch of seeds in a big container and put it in a window. Now I've got a neat setup down my basement with lights.




.

Before, I just put soil right from the bag into the container. But I found out from my new friends that you need to mix the soil with water before hand, in a large container so it's moist all the way through before you using it.



They told me to plant the seeds and cover them with saran wrap. But I bought the Grower Starter Kit that comes with a clear plastic lid.



 Keep them moist with a spray bottle of water untill the plant emerges, then place under the lights. Make sure the lights are always 2 inches above the plants. I put my lights on chains that I can adjust the height. Also at this time I started watering them from the bottom, using a tray underneath.





The person that helped me the most,  her nickname is Wilderness, told me to make a solution of  water and listerene,  1 tsp.listerene to 1 pint of water,  to prevent  fungus. She says this is a big problem with new seedlings.  Spray them every other day with this solution and also put an oscillating fan on them for part of the day.
When they have a double set of leaves like the tomato plants in this picture......



it's time to transplant them into a larger container.  I used small butter containers, yogart containers and pop bottles cut off like in the picture above.  All of these ideas were given to me from my newfound friends on B & B!  Now, check on them daily, water as needed, spray  with vineager water,  give them lots of love and they finally end up looking like this........











I can't wait to plant them in the garden! Thanks to all my good friends on B & B!!!

2 comments:

  1. Your plants did wonderfully! Won't be long before you can plant them outside.

    Glad to see you back on here blogging, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy great job on the seedlings. Sorry but is wasn't me on the vinegar. I use listerine or chamomile tea. I am sure the vinegar would do the same thing but vinegar will also kill weeds so be careful that it is a very weak solution.

    ReplyDelete